Monday, May 22, 2006

Do The Churchill

DMZ Leeds

Soldier business on the train with Red Bull armaments, then trekking up to the West Indian centre and finding Clay Pit Lane turn into a large dual carriage way and thus negate my attempt to walk to the venue.

Walking past a room of old West Indian guys chilling out next to a room of the most thundering drum'n'bass imaginable.

The fact that the WI One Day International cricket match was being shown.

The fact you could buy curry goat over the bar.

N-Type was tight as ever, I didn't really recognise that many of his beats though, barring Iron soul's Kalawanji. Oh and I think he dropped Loefah's Ruffage too. The MC was Cessman (though at the time i mistook him for Rogue-Star, cheers UFO!) who together with IronSoul (who is know as Kromestar when making grime!) forms the Terraphonix production team. Cessman's spitting was pretty decenct, a doubletime dnb-ish flow.

Skream got the party moving, rinsing our plenty of his best beats; Dutch Flowers, Music to Make U Stagga, Lightening and others. Big response blending that last track into Loe's I Rmx. I don't think he is as technically proficient as most of the other DJs though, and he can be a bit rewind happy. Crazy D on mic, pretty decent. Great contrast to both Pokes and Rogue-Star. Its easy to see the ghost of garage haunting him still, in that slightly nasal delivery and the vaguely blinging sunglasses he was wearing.

Mala (Loefah was also due to play but wasn't there) playing a good one and a half hour set. Absolutely loads of bangers (I'll add more if I remember them) including what I always think of as 'the horses hooves tunes' with the crazy off kilter rhythm like dashing stallions. I was peering into the DJ bit and trying to see the names of the dubs and this is called Bury the Boy Dub (cheers Joe Nice!) I think. Also Left Right Left which is obviously pretty genius, Anti-War Dub (great crowd reaction), Haunted and more. I seriously might take a notepad next time to jot down the tracklistings but maybe that's taking the geekery a bit too far?! Pokes on mic, what a funny guy. My favorite line was when a tune demanding a particularly large degree of head-skank dropped and he urged the crowd to 'do the churchill'.

Youngsta and Task. Yunx is a great DJ but I find the mood of his tune selection to border on the homogeneous sometimes. He's also a real elitist, playing dubs from just Skream, DMZ camp and D1 I think. Mala's Blue Notes (great title) and a Skream tune called, I think, Morning Blues were new to me. I still really enjoyed the set, but at 4 in the morning some more bouncy ish may have been better - Youngsta's set would have been perfect for the smoked-out 4.30-6 slot. Task is a man of few words, which in Dubstep is often a good thing. Just a select few crowd urges and abrupt exclamations - 'Youngsta ya big!'

Females. Pretty good gender ratio of, say, 6:4 rather than the more traditional dubstep 8:2 situation. Probably to do with DJ Fresh, Commix, Bailey and Hazard in the other room. Some even had fancy skirts on. I would say peasant is defiantly out this year, though minor manifestations of asymmetry persist. The dnb wasn't too bad actually (I allowed myself a couple of ten minute jaunts), though I didn't know any of the tunes or the DJs. It was maddeningly fast though, and without the earplugs supplied free (props!) I don't think I could have stood it. As it was, the music was like a sonic Red Bull best enjoyed in short bursts, though my favoured spot at the front of any night seemed to be predominately a courting zone for illicitly enhanced mid-teens.


Slightly too many rewinds. Slightly. Not really a major problem.

Finishing at 4.30. It being a Sunday my train homewards wasn't leaving until 8.30, giving me a pleasant four hour early-morning interim in which to explore Leeds' semi-industrial outskirts. Nice. Maccy Ds in the station opened at 6.30 I think, providing refuge and unaccustomed entertainment in the unfortunate form of both The Daily Telegraph and The Mail. Their coffee is actually pretty good and obviously sausage and egg mcmuffins are the best thing served in the whole place. If somebody had stepped up at 4.30 and rinsed it out until 6 it would have been perfection. Perhaps I'm forgetting the somewhat blunted state some people seemed to be in as I was wholly sober and just riding the bass.

The bass-maddened strip of metal behind my head when sat in the third chair from the front on the left constantly vibrating and giving an unwanted percussive layer to the music. Remedied by moving chair.

Loefah not being there.

I'm searching for negatives here, but I suppose if it had been ragga-styled Jungle in the other room that would have killed it. Though I would then have been caught on the horns of an unsavoury listening dilemma.

Lil bit of aggro at kicking out time but nothing serious.

Hope everyone who reached enjoyed it as much as I did!! Big up DMZ gang for doing something special out of nothing but love for music.

6 Comments:

Blogger grievous angel said...

Big up for representing sheffield crew. Great write up, wish I coulda been there...

5:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice write up! Was an amazing night.

Only thing, I don't think Rogue Star MCed on the night. It was Cessman over Distinction and N-Type, crazy d over skream, pokes with mala and task with Youngsta as usual.

6:55 pm  
Blogger PorkJacket said...

Paul, cheers, it was fun!


Anon, cheers for that, i assumed it was Rogue Star. Never even heard of Cessman!?

9:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

7:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... marketing mortgage site web interracialiresults.php qq valtrex Klonopin and it &aposs side effects College logos chairs genital herpes valtrex Best buy bontril online information information 2001 tulane baseball history Jenna jameson adult toys information on valtrex caused i shedding took valtrex http://www.breast-enlargement-8.info/lamborghiniapparel.html valtrex effets how do you take valtrex Search.php keywords zithromax online Moving company bergen international moving company moving Rolls royce air filters

9:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Dragon cum antidepressant medication 100 0cotton personalized stationery India home decor 2002 acura rsx type s black on black Bextra+tablet+valdecoxib Protonix coupon boards shop qoclick picnic backpacks Merchant account services from verisign Www ambien com buy generic anbien Best car polish review Hirschman replacement porsche 928 6 order levitra online Cadillac eldorado27s with rims Health insurance arizona small business Discount perfume woman boston web design firm fitness wellbutrin withdrawal xl

11:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home